Jodi Cohen Podcast #70
Reaching the Parasympathetic State
Jodi Sternoff Cohen is a bestselling author, award-winning journalist, functional practitioner, and founder of Vibrant Blue Oils, where she has combined her training in nutritional therapy and aromatherapy to create unique proprietary blends of organic and wild-crafted essential oils. She has helped over 70,000 clients heal from brain-related challenges, including anxiety, insomnia, and autoimmunity. Her first book “Healing with Essential Oils” is available on Amazon.com, and her new book “Essential Oils to Boost the Brain and Heal the Body will be released March 16, 2021.
VibrantBlueOils.com | Sign up for the Parasympathetic Summit here: ParasympatheticSummit.com
- To be in a parasympathetic state is to be in a functional space of rest and peace for the body to digest functionally and remove our need to hold our stress response of fight or flight.
- Stress is induced by anything we might view as a threat. We can have a physical or mental response.
- Overthinking can be a big indicator of how much our body senses stress around us because it encourages our body to release hormones that make our body expect stress to occur.
- The biggest temporal nerve we have is the vagus nerve, which runs from our brain to our gut. It communicates about 80-90% of all signals from and to the brain – including our need to watch out and expect stress.
- Essential oils are not a magic bullet, contrary to public belief. But what it does is open the doorway to more positive and calming signals to the brain, reducing our expectancy that stress will occur. That’s because our sense of smell is what tells us what danger, or stressors, are around us. So when we put a specific oil with a strong scent on our skin, we are opening the doorway of communication for our brains to register calmness and peace.
- There are five major components of essential oils and what they do for us:
- they provide direct communication, like a peacemaker, to our vagus nerve;
- help the body sleep;
- encourage drainage of the lymphatic system;
- improve energy in our bodies to rebalance your endocrine system;
- and provide immune modulation.